Thursday, December 31, 2015

A Day in the Life of a Fulbrighter

I haven't really been posting lately so I figured I would let everyone know what I usually do when I am not traveling. What does a Fulbright English Language Assistant actually do?

Monday: I start class at 10:20, so I have to leave my piso (flat) at around 9:20 so I have enough time to grab a coffee para llevar (to go) at Cafelito (one of my favorite coffee places) on my way to the metro. First class of the day is English with 1st ESO D, which is the equivalent of 7th grade. However these students are not a part of the bilingual program (students in the BP take ALL classes in English vs. taking all classes in Spanish and having English once a day). At my school only A and B are a part of the bilingual program and they are supposed to be the best students. Usually I am there just helping with pronunciation and correcting their homework with them. Like many teachers at my school and in other schools, native English speakers are used for their accent. Although many teachers have a high level of English, they still speak English with a Spanish accent, which makes sense. So I am there to make sure the students are pronouncing words correctly.

Next up: break time! everyday from 11:10-11:40 the students and teachers have a recreo. Since Spaniards don't eat lunch until at least 2, they need a small snack in between breakfast and lunch. This is the time to do that. Most students bring a small bocadillo (a simple sandwich, usually with one or two ingredients) and play soccer or chat with friends. After the recreo, I have PE with 3rd ESO D. Again, not a part of the bilingual program and are the equivalent of freshmen in high school. Usually I lead the students through stretches and give them instructions after the teacher has given me the instructions. I actually think the PE teachers have incredibly high levels of English, but again I am used for my accent.

My next two hours are devoted to my Global Classrooms classes with 3rd ESO A and B. Usually we are in the computer lab doing research on our topic (increasing the role of women government). I spend a lot of time in the computer lab with my students because I believe many of them do not have the best access to internet at home. The village where my school is located seems to be of a low socioeconomic status or a "cow town" as one of my students put it. After these classes I go home! It takes me about another hour then I am home around 3:30. Soon after arrive home I go to the gym then I have a Spanish class for 90 minutes on Mondays and Wednesdays. Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I usually have an intercambio (language exchange) where I can practice my conversational Spanish more.

This is essentially my schedule Monday-Thursday with slight day-to-day variations. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays I also help in biology classes, which again I am heavily used for my accent. Two of the three classes have teachers with an English level that is not very high, which they admitted to me on the first day. So when I am there they try to get me to talk as much as they can. The third biology class is taught by a woman who received her masters in biology in England, so she actually has a very high level of English and most days I am not needed there. 

Usually on the weekend I spend time with other Fulbrighters, play pick-up soccer with some Spaniards, or do some life work while I cafe hop. Its really a relaxed life here in Spain. Very different lifestyle compared to college and incredibly different compared to my friends who are working 40-50 hours a week doing real human being things. 

But I am enjoying the break. I know sometimes I really miss being intellectually challenged, but I also know that I NEEDED a break from school and working all the time. I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to LIVE in Madrid. Not just visit as a tourist, but to actually live here! I still can’t believe it sometimes. 

Anyways I am off to London and Paris to visit the Ayala Clan. One perk of being a Fulbrighter is the 3 week winter break (aka THE time to travel). 

Until next time, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment