Monday, September 21, 2015

I have started school.... sort of

So I started going to my school last Tuesday. I intentionally did not say I started working, because quite frankly I have not started doing anything really. Let me clarify. The Spanish school system really embraces the "no pasa nada" lifestyle and everything is incredibly disorganized. For example, classes start September 15th, however teachers find out which classes and grades they are teaching on September 14th. Thus, they have no time to plan lessons or prepare for their classes before they actually step into the classroom. Additionally, it takes 1-2 weeks of actual school time to finalize these schedules. So during the first two weeks of school, teachers are still moving around and students do not know who their permanent teacher is until week 2 or 3 of school.

What does this mean for a teaching assistant? My schedule hasn't even been looked at yet. So when I arrive at the school, I go directly to the English department's lounge and I sit and wait. I sit and wait until someone decides that they want me to introduce myself to their class. But why would they want that if they have no clue if I will actually be their permanent teaching assistant? Simple. It buys them time to prepare their lesson plans. My "about me" presentation takes maybe 2-3 minutes, but students are capable of asking me questions for an entire hour. The questions I have been asked have a huge range. I have been asked whether or not I have a girlfriend and to give a quick synopsis of America's thoughts regarding George Bush and the War on Terror.

But after I give my little spiel, I return to the English Department and wait like the last kid picked for baseball, hoping someone will pick me to enter a classroom and interact with students.

I should say that its not all bad. The teachers are incredibly kind and really do care about their students. It's just a disorganized system.

Other than "teaching," I have been able to have fun. I usually go out with a couple Fulbrighters on the weekends and hang out with them every now and then during the week. Of course I have joined a gym and am a frequent visitor. This week I am going out to other intercambios and meeting native Spaniards, hopefully it goes well. I am starting to really settle into Madrid and I am still incredibly excited to explore the city more and more.

In fact, this weekend I am going to my first soccer game in Madrid and in a couple of weeks I will be taking a weekend trip to Barcelona.

Until next time, you stay classy blog readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment