Wednesday, September 2, 2015

“It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...Let's go exploring!" Calvin

Since taking the MCAT in July I have thoroughly enjoyed my last month in the United States. I was able to travel to Boston, Maine, Mammoth Lakes, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. During these visits, I was able to say my last goodbyes to most of my friends and family and enjoy a few laughs while doing so.

Of course during my visits, people always wondering if I am more excited than I am nervous. Obviously, I am very excited. Am I nervous? A little bit, but I always have the Fulbright safety net. I have a huge network of other people going through the same thing. But I am way more excited than I am nervous. However what I am most excited for may surprise a few. Yes, my conversational Spanish will improve exponentially. Yes, there are countless historical landmarks to see (I mean, there are real freaking castles there!!!). And yes, the food will be world-class. Of course, girlfriend would question my sanity if I told her there is more to the world than good food, but I am most excited to just live as a Spaniard and blend in with the Spanish culture. I look forward to discovering the idiosyncrasies that make the Spanish culture so unique. It’s really going to be the adventure of a lifetime. 

On a different note, I know this is year is supposed to be a huge break from schoolwork and studying. However what I really want to investigate is how the Spanish view food. As many Americans know, the Mediterranean diet is a common option for those looking to adopt a healthier lifestyle. However since fast food options have become more prevalent in Spain, have they started to veer away from their traditional diet to a more “Americanized” diet? I plan to investigate this in a more relaxed way than a traditional scientific study.

Firstly, I plan to research treads regarding obesity, caloric intake, nutrient intake, and physical activity rates within the country. After researching this, I plan to interview chefs, personal trainers, nutritionists, doctors, nurses, and anyone else willing to sit down with me and discuss nutrition, physical activity, and the overall health of Spain. I do not know what I will discover, but I am sure it will help contribute my deeper understanding of the Spanish thought process. Who knows, maybe I will make a few friends who can accompany me on my adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment