Sunday, September 13, 2015

Orientation with a Side of Exploration

So this past week was incredibly hectic. Monday-Thursday I had orientation with all of the other Fulbright teaching assistants and researchers. Overall it was a blast! I got to meet a lot of really interesting people with different academic backgrounds. However it wasn't all fun and games. From 9 am to 9 pm we were listening to presentations about how to be an effective teaching assistant, how to help prepare students for the Model UN competition*, how to apply for residency in Spain, plus so much more. The information was incredibly helpful but I am glad I have a chance to just relax before classes start on Tuesday.

The break between orientation and classes has given me a chance to investigate different intercambio programs and my neighborhood. Intercambio "programs" are more like language groups where you can talk to native Spanish speakers in a cafe or bar instead of a classroom. The incentive for native Spanish speakers to come help those who want to learn Spanish is the fact that we help them with their English. It's a great way to practice speaking Spanish, to meet local Spaniards, and get out of the Fulbright bubble. 


I haven't really completed a deep search of my neighborhood yet. I have mostly just been walking around and seeing what is actually available. There are so many cafes, bars, fruit stands, and supermarkets its hard to pick one! Hopefully I am able to find a cafe and fruit stand that I continually go to in order to develop a more personal relationship.

Finally, while exploring the neighborhood of Salamanca in Madrid, I came across this gem and just had to snap a photo.
                                                        


Isn't it beautiful?? It was so cool to see my name all over cafes and restaurants, especially because it is not a common name in America. In fact, there is a town in Northern Spain called "Ayala" that is slightly south of Bilbao. Since that is where my family is originally from, I have to visit! My dad wasn't able to visit the town when he came to Spain, so I may be the first one in my family to see the town in a few generations. So obviously I have to go visit! 

Until then I will continue to relax and read in Retiro Park while watching magic shows and drinking cafe con leche. Life is so hard....



*This is a huge part of my grant and I am require to prepare students for a model UN conference that includes schools from all over Spain. The winning school gets to compete in an international competition in New York. Trust me, more to come on this topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment